The Institute for Sport, Exercise and Health (ISEH) together with the National Centre for Sport and Exercise Medicine (NCSEM) has been re-accredited as one of eleven research research centres from across the world as an International Olympic Committee (IOC) Research Centre for Prevention of Injury and Protection of Athlete Health.
This accreditation, which was awarded as part of the ISEH’s role as one of the three National Centres for Sport and Exercise Medicine, was made to the ISEH alongside universities and specialist sports research centres worldwide.
The ISEH and NCSEM will be tasked with researching, developing and implementing effective preventive and treatment strategies for sports-related injuries and illnesses. It will receive financial support from the IOC and joins an international network of expert scientists and clinicians whose focus will be research into the prevention of sports injuries and optimisation of the health of our athletes.
As part of this award, The Eastman Dental Institute (EDI) and ISEH will set up a Centre for Oral Health and Performance.
The 11 centres are:
- The Australian Centre for Research into Injury in Sport
and its Prevention (Edith Cowan University and La Trobe University Sport
and Exercise Medicine Research Centre, Australia)
- Sport Injury Prevention Research Centre (University of Calgary, Canada)
- Institute of Sports Medicine & Sports Orthopedic
Research Center-Copenhagen (SORC-C) (Copenhagen University Hospital,
- French-speaking Research Network for Athlete Health
Protection & Performance (French Institute of Sport; University and
University Hospital of Liège; Luxembourg Institute of Research in
Orthopedics, Sports Medicine and Science; National Sport Institute of
Quebec; Geneva University Hospitals)
- Yonsei Institute of Sports Science and Exercise Medicine
(Yonsei University, Wonju Severance Christian Hospital, Korean Sports
and Olympic, Sol Hospital, Korea National Sport University, Republic of
- Amsterdam Collaboration on Health & Safety in Sports (VU University and Academic Medical Centre, Netherlands)
- Oslo Sports Trauma Research Centre (Norwegian School of Sport Sciences, Norway)
- Aspetar Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Hospital (Qatar)
- Sport, Exercise Medicine and Lifestyle Institute
(University of Pretoria, University of Stellenbosch, South African
Medical Research Council, South Africa)
- London’s Institute for Sport, Exercise and Health and National Centre for Sports Exercise and Medicine (United Kingdom)
- United States Coalition for the Prevention of Illness and
Injury in Sport (United States Olympic Committee, Steadman Philippon
Research Institute, The University of Utah, USA)
Read about the ISEH IOC Research Centre Launch